Wednesday 4 July 2012

Branded By Dover

I must start this blog post by saying every mishap contained in here is a factor of my own stupidity and I should know better.

This weekend I only trained on Saturday due to having a normal life on Sunday. Saturday training wise was another 7 hour swim which I got through without too much trouble using self preservation swimming strategies to ensure I didn't get too sea sick or injure my shoulders too much in the large waves when the tide was high.

That's the training bit over the rest are the incidents that happened along the way.... Read on.

On Saturday due to a little bit of traffic, having a full car with new friends in it and not driving super fast down the motorway it took 10 mins longer than usual to get to the beach, meaning we were rushed getting ready. We quickly checked in, given 7 hours, cap on, greased up, treats thrown in the back of my costume and walking down to the water realised I hadn't put sunscreen on my back or my legs. No problems I checked 5 different weather forecasts yesterday they all said rain and cloud for the day, I won't need it I won't get burnt.

Mistake 1 - I trusted the weather forecast it was sunny, windy and without a rain cloud in the sky for the entire day - they did get the wind part right.

Mistake 2 - not taking the extra time to get someone to put sunscreen on my back & doing my legs. I now have a defined set of go faster racing stripes from my costume straps, a very dark & painful back/neck and two red & painful lines up the sides of my bum where my costume has ridden up during the day making sitting painful - especially on plastic chairs at the cricket.

Mistake number 3 is hidden in the text above. Guess what it is? No? It was throwing my treats into the back of my costume without taking care as to how and where I put them. This rushed behaviour resulted in two things - my chocolate buttons having a blow out when I got thrown agaisnt the rocks by a wave coming in for a feed. I didn't discover this until a low moment mid swim when I went to grab my buttons for a snack and found they had popped and I now had small half eroded chocolate buttons floating around my costume that I had to scoop out. No I hadn't done a sea poo it was my chocolate buttons I promise. The other issue which I didn't discover until getting home and into a nice hot shower was that the serrated edges of my packets of treats had been rubbing against my skin as they lived in the back of my costume and I now have a severe chaffing mark on my bum which combined with sunburn makes sitting a somewhat painful task.

Mistake 4 - not getting enough grease for 7 hours. My fault should've asked Barrie for more; less grease = more chaffing on my neck and under my arms. I have swimmer's hickeys and grazing, that along with my tan lines make me even more of a delight to look at than previously.

I know you would all like to see photos of my sunburn and chaffing but as most of my pain is related to my bottom I care not to post photos - you can laugh and use your imagination. I have literally been branded on the bottom by Dover

No comments:

Post a Comment