Monday 18 June 2012

Kristy V Dover Harbour Washing Machine

This past weekend was a proper test of my mental strength and ability to man up when the going got tough. It was my first double dip of the year and featured sunshine, White horses and force five winds. In this story I can promise you tears, puke and alot of 'man up princess chat'. So read on.

Saturday Deirdre, Tory and I drove from London to Dover for our romantical weekend escape training in the harbour. On driving down the hill toward the harbour our first glimpse was 6 foot waves crashing against the harbour walls and stony beach. Going through my head was o'crap this isn't even the harbour. Inside the harbour we were greeted with 4ft white horses bouncing off the walls - so bad that our usual 700m stretch of water to the far harbour wall was cut in half due to the size of the waves that end. The somewhat calm end of the harbour was home to the champion of champions event which meant us channel aspirants coped the White horses for as long as Freda determined.

I was sent in for 4 hours - sun creamed up and seasick tablets on board I jumped in and powered with the waves down to the no swim border. On turning around to swim back I was battered by wave after wave and tossed about like a cork in the sea. My seasickness tablets weren't working and 25 minutes in I was looking at my watch to see how long until the 2 hour feed. It seemed every 10-15 minutes I was checking my watch willing the time to pass faster, attempting to swim as I was being thrown around in the waves while trying to complete an 800m loop. I was administering many man up chats to myself but none were working. The seasickness got to me, I started getting sicker and dizzier as the 2 hours went by. At one point I received a huge mouthful of sea water and threw up some more; horrible. I got to the 2 hour feed went to stand up and take my feed, the dizziness hit badly, the tears welled in my goggles, Barrie sent me to Freda to determine if I was actually sick or putting it on. Freda's comments - "you're rather green around the gills - and it's not your beard - go get dressed". Relief I didn't have to go back into that nasty washing machine!! Then the sense of failure - I'd f'd it up - I got out early!

So there I sat on the beach rugged up, sick and not very happy watching as my friends completed their allotted training. I had failed - had I stuffed it up mentally? - maybe? - could I have kept going with that sickness and just thrown up a few more times - I'll never know. In talking to Freda she said "you always have to have a bad training day to get better" next her words of advice "go home, beat yourself up over this and come back stronger tomorrow". I failed the Washing Machine had won this round.

Staying overnight in Dover meant afternoon naps, and more sleep for Sundays session. We got down to the beach on Sunday am and were greeted with 2-3ft waves and a decent swell at the far end of the harbour. The only respite was at the near wall, however on Sundays you can't swim there till after 12.

On registering I was chastised by both Freda and Barrie for getting out early the day before then was given 4 hours. I discovered that Deirdre who was on the same tide as me have been given 5 hours to my 4 - laughter ensued from our Serps group. On greasing up I was given another chat by Barrie and I thought right I can do this I'm not going to let the sea sickness beat me. We all waded into the water and flew down to the far wall with the waves pushing us along - once reaching the far corner and turning the real fun began. Swimming back head first into White horses I was determined to stay horizontal and power through I was not going to let the washing machine beat me. One hr down was the first time I looked at my watch, then again at 1:50 where in the water I met up with Tory, deirdre and nick to enjoy some of nick's 'pants' treats. A packet of chocolate buttons produced from his trunks - ripped open and consumed while treading water - Awesome!! Two hours in no sea sickness, time for a feed and go again - this time back down to the far wall to play in the washing machine once again. It was fun going down there but took forever to get out. Three hours down another feed, the wind was picking up, my arms were tiring but I was not giving in. I ran into Deirdre at 3:10 proclaimed I was feeling good may stay in and keep her company for 5 hours, she told me I had a whole hour to change my mind & not to make any promises too soon. Thirty minutes later I almost collided with Kevin murphy 'king of the channel' and he asked how long I was in for - response - 4 hours but I think I'll stay in longer.

The four hour mark arrived rather quickly - decision time as I swam in get out and be proud or stay in and seek channel redemption. I was staying in - man up time!! I got a thumbs up from Barrie and a big smile from Kevin (who by this time was changed and on the beach) as I yelled I was staying in, took my feed and swam off to the calm of the near wall. The last hour was short laps in the calmer water flying down toward the far wall and a hard slog back to the near wall.

In getting out at 5 hours I felt somewhat vindicated for my poor performance the day before, strong in the knowledge I held my head and pushed through the demons - when the tough got going I stayed in! Best part was I'd done an hour more than prescribed and got a big hug from Barrie and a pat on the back to say well done for going back in and facing where I'd stuffed up the day before. It was probably the different sea sickness tablets, could have been the kicking I gave myself for stuffing up the previous day anyways I 'manned up princess' and I won!!

Current score Kristy 1 Dover Harbour 1




No comments:

Post a Comment