Saturday 5 May 2012

Toning the six pack below the keg

This week I decided that developing my core strength and some light weights/stretching through my shoulders & back would be of benefit to me on a weekly basis. Let's face it even though I'm carrying a keg around my middle there should be a 6 pack underneath there somewhere.... just begging to get out and the best way to ensure it was still there after my swim was to complete weekly core workouts.

So off to the gym on Wednesday morning I went. I completed a 15 min TRX class (stretching and body weight exercises on long bands) and a 15 min ab class. Not much, however by the end a few things had happened. Firstly I was ravenous and continued to be all day, secondly there was a weird burning sensation across my core and thirdly by the afternoon a hunched foetal position over my keyboard was the only comfortable way of sitting. Surely, 30 minutes of body weight and abs exercises could not be that bad, I had core strength, well I used to until I stopped with the core exercises 6 months ago.... Really was this going to hurt this much.... .

Stupid question.... It hurt!! Alot!

Thursday brought an uncomfortable ache across my core with the only relief being in a hunched seated position and Friday was even worse. By Friday I could hardly move, walking upright was an issue, laughing well that was incomphrensible. Friday evening my usual swim night, was a painful first 500m and resembled something like a half stretched front crawl snaking down the lane. After a proper stretch out my swimming returned to almost normal and while slow I managed a decent session. I still can't laugh and if someone were to poke me in the belly I think I might cry!

So why am I telling you this?  Moral of my story, stick with the keg. Its not aesthetically pleasing but attempting to return the muscles below back to six pack condition in one work out was STUPID. The benefit of hindsight teaches me that it will take 3 days for the pain to subside... Just in time for my next core work out..... 

Stay tuned for the effects of next weeks core sessions, maybe I should try two in a week....

No comments:

Post a Comment